Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Why I Write

I've always been a why person. Since we serve a Sovereign God who does all things for a reason, with a purpose, I've always felt this compulsion to find the why in everything. Of course, I'm often disappointed, since God Himself often doesn't let us in on those reasons, but it's nice to at least know there is one.

Our oldest, our Sunshine (I think she's starting to hate that nickname, but come on, she's only 16. That's still young enough to be Mommy and Daddy's little Sunshine, isn't it?), our Sunshine loves to write. She's pretty good at it, too. I'm hoping that we'll see lots more from her and our other little artists in the days ahead. But we'll begin with making Dad happy. She answers the "why" question.
Why I Write


People ask me, “Why
Do you write? Is
It because you have
nothing better to do?”

I merely smile in

The face of their

Foolishness. Nothing better to

Do? What utter nonsense!

I write, because I

Love the words taking

Shape under my pencil.

Because I want to

Leave my mark on

The world, in hopes

That, one day, my

Writing will take up

Its place in the

Hallowed realm of the

Used book-store. I

Write because when I

Do, I embed part

Of myself, my mind,

My heart, in the

Past, to be enjoyed

By book lovers in

The present and far

Future. I write for

Myself; to spill my

Brains on paper is

The best ever therapy

I write for others;

To read a well

Spun tale is to

Bask in the luscious

Aura of good literature.

I write for the

Sake of writing, and

The joy that comes

From finishing a piece

The satisfaction of, not

Only finishing it, but

Enjoying it, and having

Others enjoy it too;

That’s why I write.


copyright 2006
Weldon ServantHeart Homeschool

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dad. (the sarcasm is dripping in my voice) I was just DYING to have the whole world know my nickname. LOL, just kidding.

Anonymous said...

I don't still call you Sunshine but I do really enjoy reading anything you write. This one is great. Of course, I may be a bit prejudiced since I'm your grandma.
Keep up the good work.
LOL
Gram